> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:04:29 -0500 "Jenn S." <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> I no longer try to sub soy milk for things like mashed pototoes (minor
> soy allergy in one child and rice milk is even more distastful).  When
> making mashed potatoes, I reserve some of the cooking liquid to use
> instead.  I add a bit of extra margerine (we use Nucoa or Saffola
> unsalted).

Olive oil is great in mashed potatoes as well.  I usually put some crushed
garlic in as well, but YMMV particularly if your kids aren't used to garlic!

My husband is now addicted to soy margarine, which I think is quite funny as
I can take it or leave it.  I made a low fat dinner last night (chicken,
sweet potato, carrot and bean stew (lots of garlic and fresh herbs, plus
more than a dash of wine) with no added fat at all) and caught him mixing in
some soya spread with his.  He can't cope with the concept of no fat
meals!!!!

Megan