Thank you for your thank you, Larry.  However, you may not like my following
remarks as much.  In truth, I rather agree with Dr. Eisman in some respects.
It is disturbing to me.  It happens to be with different groups but the
bitterness is the same.  It is an envy based on economic survival.

In a state where the celebrated Selma Fraiberg lived and worked and was
lauded by the illustrious Richard Sterba (I believe the only or one of the
few non-Jews to throw his lot in with the Freuds in their exodus from their
native land), we are so overrun by professionals of all ilk who inhabit every
nook and cranny and have often the most deplorable practice ideals in
whatever their theoretical orientation.

Selma was held up over many psychiatrists who were not viewed as worth much.
And she, a lowly social worker! But face it. There are not many Selma
Fraibergs and there are not many Anna Freuds. Not many worthwhile "lay
analysts".  But I think not many worthwhile analysts!  In fact there are not
many shrinks of whatever profession who do more than follow the common herd
or, like lemmings to the sea, mindlessly practice something which they call
psychotherapy but which, indeed, is nothing more than the scarecrow who
"whiles away the hours conferring with the flowers, consulting with the
rain".

I have often been appalled.  I have also been jealous and enraged at those
who seemingly have it so easy in their practice ambitions..with their many
contracts and an active carriage trade while I labor away most of my practice
life in a government institution.  Where is justice?

Why is it that I have invested so much time and money into my education only
to have my earning power pale next to a sharp entrepreneur with a two year
degree?
It just ain't fair! (I rant and rave to my analyst).  But then the
realization comes.  I am not entitled by virture of my degree to earn a
living.  I am entitled to the knowledge and wisdom I have gained in the
earning of it..nothing more.

But also, nothing less!!!!!

Diane Gartland