Sorry for my last posting.  Something messed it up.  Here is what I
was trying to post:

I talked to Hon. Johnny Ford, Director General of World Conference of
Mayors (WCM).  He gave me a little history of WCM.  He said he used
to be mayor of Tuskegee, AL but is now a state representative of the
Alabama House of Representatives.

Mr. Ford told me that the reason they chose Banjul to host the
conference was the richness of the history of Gambia and its
connection to the African-American experience.  He also said that his
meeting with Yahya Jammeh is in no way an endorsement of him or his
gov't..  He said that was just a matter of courtesy.  He claims his
organization was invited to Banjul by the Mayor of Banjul Mr. Smaba
Faal who will be elected to chairmanship of WCM in Banjul.  I
reminded Mr Ford that Mr. Faal was not infact democratically elected
to the post mayor by the people of Banjul.

I reiterated to him some of the concerns that some of us have in the
WCM holding their meeting in the Gambia under the auspices of the
illegimate Jammeh regime.  I told him that this gov't always tries to
use organizations like WCM to prop up its battered image in and
outside Gambia.  He assured me that he will not allow his
organization to be used like this.  He emphasized that this is more
of an economic rather than political event and he will make sure it
stays that way.  He said he has had discussions with the US
ambassador, Mr. Haley, who briefed him on what was is going on in
Gambia.  He also  said that they will definitely get an advisary from
the US State Department before the event.

I urge all concerned Gambians to call his office to drive this URGENT
message home to him.  His phone number is 334-727-4035 and fax number
is 334-727-4010.

Thanks,
YND