It is becoming ever more apparent to all observers of the Gambian political environment that the current situation is one in which the opposition political parties continue to operate in less than equitable conditions. In other words the political playing field is not a level one.

It is clear that the incumbent AFPRC/APRC party enjoys an unfair advantage in relation to the use of government owned media and other State apparatus for propaganda and campaign purposes. It has also been discovered, that Jammeh has put together a massive "war chest"  of millions of dollars and is in possession of infinitely more resources to fight the coming Presidential and Parliamentary elections. And that he will employ all of these resources in his attempt to subvert the impending elections.

Unfortunately we also anticipate, that the instances of political intimidation and repression which are common place today, will multiply in the run up to the elections.

These facts on their own represents a compelling set of arguments in support for a realistic rationalization of the collective opposition to Jammeh and the AFPRC/APRC regime. We have put foward the recommendation, that the logical approach of the main opposition parties in the face of this reality, should be a collective approach. We also believe that a united opposition can mitigate the prospect of wanton government repression as the combine opposition insulates itself on the basis the increased membership that will emerge.

We know as a matter of fact, that there is deep-seated opposition to the Jammeh and the AFPRC/APRC government up and down the country. But crucially, we also know from our own soundings, taken from a cross section of the Gambian community both at home and abroad, that the idea of a tactical and strategic alliance of the main opposition parties enjoys matching support within the community.

It is clear that a failure to unite the political opposition to Jammeh and the AFPRC/APRC government will result in the fragmention of the combined opposition support. This will effectively allow Jammeh not only to claim victory, whether true on not, but also to back this claim based on the argument of a divided opposition. This situation, judging from examples taken elswhere, is a real possibility.

The rationale for a convergence of the entire opposition to the government is therefore not only compelling but also strategically sound. The central concern of the democratic opposition should remain the preservation and protection of the national interest. At this crucial moment in our country's history, the choice is a clear one. In short, we either unite or languish under the scourge of  Jammeh's reign of terror, social and economic mismanagement and of a certain anarchy.

Mindful of these dire results, The Movement For The Restoration of Democracy in The Gambia (UK) today launches an International Petition which will conclusively illustrate the level of support for the idea of a united opposition platform against the current government. We believe that the political opposition must listen to the genuine voice of its constituents. This voice is increasingly calling for a united opposition. This petition is meant to convey that message to them. We ask that you give your endorsement to the petition.

You can access the petition on all the following websites:
1.  http://www.gambiansonline.com/MRDGPetition.htm
2.

It is also possible to download hard copies of the petition for those who have limited or no access to the internet and to forward these to the published addresses of the political parties and of this Movement.
Thanking you for your anticipated support.
MRDGUK.

PS: This is a rectification!
Please take note of the correct link for the   Petition.
http://www.gambiansonline.com/MRDGPetition.htm