From: Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:32:19 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: GAMBIA TO HOST WORLD CONFERENCE OF MAYORS

The piece below was culled from the Daily Observer. I think Director
General
Ford needs some education on Yaya's real record. Yaya's record of
ordering
the murder of more than a dozen innocent children. Yaya's record of
ordering
the abduction and unlawful incarceration of innocent Gambians. Yaya's
record
of sponsoring thugs that kidnap innocent Gambians and burn down their
properties. Yaya's record of harassing journalists and deporting
Gambians
from their country of birth. Yaya's record of stealing millions from
government coffers. Yaya's record of stealing power from a
democratically
elected government. Yaya's record of stealing the last elections.
Basically,
Yaya's rag to riches story. Someone who five years ago depended on
government supplied uniforms to put clothes behind his back, now
boasts of
owning millions of dalasis. Someone who did not finish high school,
now
boasts of having a doctorate degree

While educating Mr. Johnson, we must also remember that under Yaya's
watch,
Gambians have grown poorer. Gambia has grown more dangerous. The list
goes
on. In short, we should endeavor to make Mr. Johnson and the world
'recognize' Yaya for who he really is.