I am not the original poster, but I know the reference, so I am sharing it
with the list.

> Could the person who provided the response:
>
> ***Extra added bonus.  Government studies have shows that as little as
> a quarter teaspoon a day helps level insulin in bloodlstream.  That
> means to non-diabetics that it will cut cravings.***

<A HREF="http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns225126">Cl ick
here: New Scientist: Sugar and spice</A>

Sugar and spice

Is a natural medicine hiding in your kitchen?

CINNAMON may prevent or at least delay a type of diabetes that
develops with age, say researchers in the US.

Clinical trials of a cinnamon extract are due to begin within a year, but
nutritionist Richard Anderson says patients with type II or non-
insulin-dependent diabetes could benefit now by adding the spice to
their food or drink. "We recommend people take a quarter to a full
teaspoon a day of cinnamon, perhaps in orange juice, coffee or on
oatmeal," he says. Type II diabetes kills 100 million people prematurely
each year. In patients with the condition, fat and muscle cells
gradually lose their ability to respond to insulin, the hormone that
directs cells to remove excess glucose from the bloodstream. As a
result, glucose builds up in the blood, causing symptoms such as
fatigue, weight loss and blurred vision.

In earlier laboratory experiments, Anderson and his colleagues at the
US Agricultural Research Service's nutrition labs in Beltsville,
Maryland, established that cinnamon rekindles the ability of fat cells
from type II diabetics to recognise and respond to insulin, increasing
their glucose metabolism twentyfold. Now the team has discovered
the substance responsible, a polyphenol called methylhydroxy
chalcone polymer (MHCP).

Anderson says the extract doesn't replace insulin by binding to the
hormone receptor itself. Experiments have shown that it simply makes
fat cells more responsive to insulin, ensuring that the "remove
glucose" message registers inside the cell.

In unpublished studies, abnormally high glucose concentrations in
diabetic mice fell drastically when they were given MHCP. Blood pressure
also remained stable in spontaneously hypertensive rats, rodents with an
insensitivity to insulin whose blood pressure normally soars when they
eat a high-sugar diet. "Any work in this area is welcome," says Cathy
West, a spokeswoman for London-based Diabetes UK. She says that around
two million people have type II diabetes in Britain, but cautions that
it is too early to start recommending that people take cinnamon to treat
the condition. "But we look forward to the results of further research."

Andy Coghlan From New Scientist magazine, 12 August 2000.