Joe,
Success, I've no idea why this worked. I tried removing and adding the mail service but it did't work. I checked the properties for the mail service in OL Express and found two different servers for sending and receiving mail an  smtp and pop3. I tried the smtp address in OL97. This time I had a dialog box saying it could not connect to my mail server so I changed it back to the pop3 address and bingo.
Thanks Joe

Steve Spake