>Green beans used to be called string beans. When I was young, 40 years
>ago, string beans really did have tough fibrous "strings" running down
>one edge. You don't see that any more.

I think I read somewhere that the stringiness happens when the bean is
no
longer very fresh. Anybody know about this? I also haven't had a
stringy
string bean since I was a little kid.

I watch PBS cooking shows, and I recall the Two Fat Ladies talking
about
eating fava bean pods. Wasn't paying a great deal of attention though,
but I
think they said you just chop them up and can eat them raw?

And what about bean sprouts...the kind you use in Moo Shu? Paleo or
no?
Stacie