>I can't understand why they spend so much time building a discussion of men
>vs. women and hunting vs. gathering. Men can gather as well and women can
>kill as well. Especially the smaller animals (like birds,  reptiles,
>insects).

I think it is completly true and generally overlooked .
A half native who have been raised by his grand mother, told me the
story
when he was a baby on her back coming back from gathering . She found
snake killed it and put it on her shoulder when she arrived to the
camp ,the
baby had eaten a big part of it.
He told me that because seeing me eating raw meat reminded him  of it
.

jean-claude