Jut got baqck from one of my new favorite restaurants in Manhattan
[O'Lunney's on W 46th].  When the buser brought out bread and I refused
it [with explanation], my waitperson, who was standing by, asked "what
is celiac"?

When I explained it was an allergy to gluten, to wheat, in fact all
grains except rice and corn [I take the conservative approach], her eyes
lit up and she exclaimed "ah, gluien allergy,so that's what it is
called". this restaurant is really a bit of Ireland, so they are
familiar with celiac...they just used a different term.  From now on
when I eat out, I am going to say that I am allergic to gluten,
wheat...you know, celiac"  May have just been approaching it the wrong
way..

Ann