To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:27:15 -0700
Subject: Ataxia
From: Marta B Ithurria <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Russ:
I am on the Nystagmus list, but since my N is acquired and no CN I never
wrote them, but I read their messages, and, here comes yours, very
interesting!!!

I suffer from Truncal Ataxia, Vermis Atrophy (part of the cerebellum,
since I had Breast and Skin cancer, Doctors think that chemotherapy is
the culprit of my new problems) and had esotrophia (I had muscle surgery
in the eyes, which it help, since I had double vision.)
But after surgery the problem with Nystagmus became very upsetting.
I can use prism glasses, but the ophthalmologist will not prescribe them,
since the eyes will get used to it and ask for more graduation. Before
surgery my prism was 30, half inches thick glasses, so here I am.

For Ataxia the Dr. sent me to have vestibular rehabilitation, I had very
little of that, UCLA has the best in the Country, I will see if I can get
in...
I had rehabilitation for my balance and equilibrium and that help me a
lot (I am able to walk with a cane and take care my grand baby.)
In all I am doing better than I was.
I will write you a little bet more after I have your comments about my
e-mail.
My e-mail address is: [log in to unmask]
From California
Marta an Argentinean)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!