culled from GRTS page.

Opinion leaders in the country yesterday held a private meeting with the President Yahya Jammeh to pay their condolences to him following the death of12 people in the April 10th and 11th incidents.  The group which include chiefs and alkalolus drawn from the seven administrative regions is the latest in series of consultations with President Jammeh, since he returned from the G77 Summit in Cuba.  The group's Spokesman Seyfo Alhaji Tabora Manneh of Lower Niumi informed our reporter that President Jammeh was shock and saddened by the number of casualties and the destruction to public and private property during the riots.  The President is reported to have implored Opinion leaders to preach peace, sanity and social cohesion in their communities and inculcate into their children respect, tolerance and discipline.  Speaking on behalf of her colleagues Aji Fatou Sallah of Banjul told our reporter that the government has promised to conduct full investigation into the causes of the deaths and take strong measures to avert a re-occurence of such incidents in the Gambia.  Mrs Sallah called on parents to train their children by teaching them love and patriotism.