Well, it looks like there's a big market out there for a good Cheerios
substitute, but, unfortunately, none appears to exist.  My thanks to everyone
who wrote to me--I didn't have time to answer the letters personally, but I
appreciated your kindness.

There were quite a few alternative breakfast cereal suggestions: while my son
and I have already tried almost all of them, I'll list them for those who
might be interested.  None of them is Cheerios-like, though, except for a
health food version of Cheerios one person suggested, which uses oats
(something I haven't introduced into my son's diet yet) and which can,
apparently, be found at Whole Foods.  The others, in no particular order,
are: Erewhon's Poppets, Nature's Path's Honey'd Corn Flakes, Pacific Grain's
Nutty Rice, Rice Crunch 'ems, Aztec Cereal, Corn Pops (some people have a
reaction to these, though), New Morning's Cocoa Krispies, U.S. Mills'
Cornfetti (also has oat flour), and Malt-o-Meal's Dyno-bites (fruity and
cocoa krispies).

I'm not making any claims for any of these cereals, just passing on others'
suggestions.

My thanks again to everyone who wrote.

Claire