AXSLIB-L October 1999

Re: ADA complaints regarding library AT

"S.Redgold" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:04:41 +1000

I invite you to visit http://www.gu.edu.au and enter the text site.

We have a complex site using templates that define framesets and a detailed
navigation strategy. When the content providers ( 200 independents content
providers) publish their sites from the stages environment to the test
environment have a program that deconstructs the framesets and applies
business rules to make the site accessible to screen to voice readers. This
si complemented by a policy of having a noframes/ no JAVAscript inclusion in
the template to allow for embedded material that cannot be deconstructed by
our text site conversion program.

This allows even the free ware screen to voice readers to receive single
frame text pages with  inserted  "local universe" focussed navigation to
encourage successful visits by vision impaired people.

This has the added advantage of allowing anyone using simple English to
other language translators to access our site as well as making it
accessible via PCLYNX.

It's not perfect yet, we have little funding and with staff turnover in the
content provider population and the rapidly changing faces of external web
site design companies who are engaged by different departments and schools
we are constantly retraining and completing incremental improvements.

When you visit, please drill into the site and notice how the navigation
across the top of the pages changes as you move through different areas. It
is structured so that every address simply needs /text/ added between the
domain www.gu.edu.au and the rest of the address so that the text site can
be entered directly from any point in the frames and graphics version, and
vice versa - from any where in the text site, remove text from the URL and
you enter the other version.

it's not perfect yet, but we are proud of our efforts, particularly as it
has had no special funding and is created and maintained with in the every
minuscule web budget.

Regards
Spider Redgold

Manager, Enterprise Information & IntRnet Services
Information Technology Services
Griffith University
Brisbane Australia 4111
Phone: 61 7 3875 3732