C-PALSY  August 1999

C-PALSY August 1999

Re: Problem I don't know how to handle

Patrick Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 00:18:03 -0600

Hi everyone:

[Lurk Mode OFF...]

At 11:19 PM 8/19/99 -0400, Magenta Raine wrote:
>JAN< MY BEST GUESS is that you need to move>  either that or start advocating
>for a para transit van in your area> if you do not qualify for ssi< why are
>you worried about that money? how are you in using your hands? could you
>learn to drive?  sometimes rehab will pay for an adapted vehicle>  what will
>you do when your parents die? that"s a scary idea< but we all need to deal
>with that sooner or later> sooner is better>

Jan, I will tell you that I'm not perfect at this myself right now, but it
seems to me that by staying in the country is doing you more harm
than good (emotionally speaking).

Might I suggest you follow someone else's suggestion of simply moving to
Chattanooga and living on your own???  Doesn't the city of Chattanooga have
their own housing authority or HUD office where you can apply for housing
YEAR-ROUND????

I know the notion of it is scary, but you will be FAR better off than you
are in the boondies with your parents.  I didn't want to move away from my
parents, but when I *was* on my own, it actually good.

Was it scary???  YOU BET!!!!

I've been to HandiCamp and to Job Corps, but living on my own was a FAR
different experience than what I was used to.  But since I got involved in
a local theatre troupe (which is based on the now defunct Boettcher School
Alumni Association), things have been looking up for the most part.

Speaking of Alumni Associations and other clubs, are you a member of any
such clubs where you are???  Being a member of some clubs can provide a
wealth of activities.  Especially if you're a member of clubs which are
based on hobbies.  Do you have access to any of those where you are???

I know I need to get out more often than I have been lately myself, but I
just need to get off my butt and just DO IT!!!  I've done it
before.  There's no reason why I shouldn't be out enjoying myself every
month as long as I don't overdo it with the $$$.

Speaking of $$$, is having SSI (and rendering yourself disabled) really
worth it???  What are your chances of landing a job somewhere once you DO
move to the city (or within driving distance of it)???  Are your parents
capable of taking you to and from work???

Have you even TRIED looking for work???  Another question would be what job
skills do you have or learned???

I know I seem to be asking a lot of question Jan, but, to be honest, *I*
think you *can* handle this problem.  All you need to do is make sure you
have all your ducks in order before you take the notion to do
something.  And living on your own will reduce (if not eliminate) most (if
not all) of your obstacles.

Those obstacles may loom large now, but they'll loom even larger if you
don't take action ASAP (as in RIGHT AWAY!!) because it won't be long before
your parents are gone.

And I don't think I need to spell out the problems THAT will bring.

Best of luck Jan (and KEEP US POSTED!!).

Meanwhile, back to LURK mode.  Lurk Mode ON... :-)

Patrick Cook
[log in to unmask] (FORMERLY [log in to unmask])
Denver, Colorado
http://home.talkcity.com/MinivanAve/patrick32/