PCBUILD  March 1999

PCBUILD March 1999

Re: Zip drive incompatiibilities

David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:37:00 -0800

On 27 Mar 99, at 9:53, Dennis Noble wrote:

> I have used Zip drives for years and have always used a PP external
> unit on my personal computer. Just recently, I had a left over
> internal IDE unit and installed it into my system. The unit worked
> and read all of my old ZIP disk up until I loaded the drivers that
> came with the unit. The internal ZIP is mfg by NEC but is still a
> 100MB unit. When I try to access a ZIP disk used by my old external
> zip drive, it states that the disk is not formatted. Once formatted,
> it works fine. The problem is that after the internal ZIP formats the
> disk, the External ZIP no longer is able to read the disk until it
> formats the disk again. So, I can't read or share information between
> the two.
>
> Again, I was initially able to read the old disk in the new internal
> unit untill the new intall software was installed. I have also tried
> to reinstall the old drivers with no luck. Has anyone had this
> problem and are you aware of a fix?

  I believe I have seen a version of this problem.

  I have a parallel Zip at home, and an IDE Zip that doesn't get used
much.  I have never seen a problem like this with them.
  I have two SCSI Zip drives at work.  One is on my 98 workstation (so
it can do DriveSpace); I often move disks between it and the parallel
at home without difficulty.
  The other SCSI Zip is on one of the NT Servers that I administer.  I
routinely write files from the server to a Zip disk and read them on
the 98 machine.  I occasionally write files from the 98 machine and
read them on the server.
  Where I think the problem occurs, for me, is if I *move* all files
off the disk to the NT server (or perhaps if I format the disk on the
NT server, although I don't think I'd be very likely to do that).  When
I bring the empty disk back to the 98 machine, it claims it's
unformatted, and I must reformat before I can write to it again.

  I believe that, these days, I am relying on the drivers included with
the various Windows OSes, and have not installed any Iomega drivers.

  I'm not sure this helps, but it might suggest a workaround.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html