From:
Cathy Flick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 19:20:00 EST

Sheila--
  definitely find a source for Rice Dream products pronto! Your
daughter might find their frozen ice cream substitute and puddings and
milk substitute to make her way a little easier.... They are made
from brown rice, during processing the rice is converted to complex
sugars so they don't even need to add sweetener (no cane sugar means
it doesn't zap me the way sucrose products do). Also somebody makes
a "popcorn" like product made out of popped rice-- does anybody know
a mail order source for this? Many of the Rice Dream products are made
with carob instead of chocolate, so if she can tolerate carob (it's
a legume, I think) she might find this helps also.
   You can also make all sorts of frozen treats just from fruit if
you have a blender (especially a Vita-Mix, but for softer fruits
a blender is fine). You can cut up fresh fruit into small pieces and
freeze on plates until solid, then put in plastic bags for this
purpose (or just buy frozen fruit!). Then use these as the base for
milk-shake-like stuff or soft-serve ice cream-type stuff. You really
don't even need to use milk substitutes with it. I make "shakes" out
of just melons or peaches, for example. With the Vita-Mix, I can just
add the nonfrozen fruit and ice, churn away for about a minute, and
then add a little bit of water to make it the consistency I want. But
I dimly recall being able to make such things from partially thawed
frozen fruit in a regular blender also.
   Can she tolerate soy? If so, you might try some 100% soy cheeses
available to see if they work for her (most soy cheeses also have
casein or caseinate, but the Soymage brand seems to be 100% soy,
I've tried their Mozzarella style and Cheddar style, and also their
Parmesan style). If she can tolerate soy or tofu (I've had temporary
allergies to soy but not tofu, the processing changes the protein enough)
then there are many soy-based or tofu-based ice-cream substitutes available
commercially (also milk substitutes).
   If she is missing peanut butter but can eat seeds, you might try sesame
butter (tahini) or sunflower butter. Tahini is kind of bitter by itself to
me, but mixed with some honey it's very tasty. You can use it the same way
you use peanut butter (me, I like it on apples or bananas!)
   Definitely get the books I mentioned in an earlier post (try your
library, they can get them by inter-library loan if necessary), they
will give you plenty of ideas on how to appeal to her restricted
taste buds. Children's taste buds are actually more acute than adults'
and usually they prefer foods separate rather than mixed all together,
so it might be actually easier to make her feel undeprived than an
adult.
   Also experiment with foods she may never have tried before-- I discovered
avocado, for instance, thanks to my allergies. This makes a nice spread
for bread or rice cakes or crackers, you really don't have to add anything
to it but just mash it up by itself. It won't turn brown very quickly
if you make it right before eating (usually I add lemon juice to prevent
browning for storage, but if she can't eat citrus you don't want to do
this-- if she can tolerate powdered Vitamin C, you can use that for
preservation). Also see if she likes beans "straight", I like kidney
beans right out of the can for instance. Also getting "organically grown"
produce may make her a raw vegetable lover-- they taste so much better.
I get "organic" carrots from my co-op, and they are SO delicious that
I can't stand the regular ones any more. I never liked cooked spinach,
but discovered as an adult that raw spinach is VERY tasty. I get
"organic" frozen corn and peas, and like to munch on them straight out
of the bag (corn is out for you, but peas might not be!)-- you might
see if she likes such odd types of eating, rather than worrying about
regular menus.
   Also don't worry too much about all her "loves" being on the
restricted list now. If she has allergies, she probably "loved" them
because she had built up allergic addictions (I did, to dairy products
and once to would-you-believe onions). Once she's been away from them
for a while, they will quickly lose their appeal.
         Peace, Cathy Flick  [log in to unmask]