PCBUILD  November 1998

PCBUILD November 1998

Re: The unwilling

Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:32:51 -0500

From: victor patman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] The unwilling

*snip*

>> >my computer and UNWILLING. The only real significant difference is the
>> >MoBo and
>> >CPU. Which I got for a great deal. MoBo, CPU, and cooling fan for $99.
>> >Not too
>> >bad for an El Cheepo system. Here are the specs on the MoBo:
>> >MoBo is a noname
>> >Cyrix M2 233mhz
>> >AMI  CL98939 burnin-24hr BIOS
>> >SIS 5595 chipsets
>> >Built in Sound Pro
>> >1024mb L2 cache
>> >ite I/O chip
>> >Mem setup 2dimm 4simm
>> >3 PCI, 2 ISA slots
>> >AGP slot
>> >The only jumpers are for:
>> >CMOS RAM Clear Selector set at (Normal Mode)
>> >Dimm Voltage Selector set at(3.3V)
>> >Microphone Type Jumper set at (Normal Mode)
>> >Other than this info the MoBo configuration is pretty much standard.
>> >Seeing how I was
>> >able to install Win98 onto the new HDD in my computer.I even tried
copying
>> Win98 files to the HDD and running SETUP from there still the same. I
>> suspect the
>> >problem with
>> >UNWILLING is the MoBo or the CPU. Some input from you would be highly
>> >appreciated.It is 2am and I would like to get some sleep this week.
>> >

>> >Thanx
>> >
>> >Vic Patman

Vic,

Don't take this the wrong way but if it doesn't work, then you didn't get a
great deal, no matter how low the price is. A few weeks ago I bought an Asus
mother board and AMD K6-2 333 mhz retail box for $211. That's only $112 more
than what you paid and the chip is a lot faster. I would much rather pay a
little more for quality parts and save myself the frustration that you've
gone through.

Having said that, you say your memory setup is 2 dimm, 4 simm. Do you mean
it has this many slots, or do you have both dimm and simm memory chips
installed? If so, try using one or the other but not both...chances are this
motherboard doesn't support both types at the same time. Or try swapping out
the memory with some that you know is good...if the problems go away then
the memory is probably bad.

Make sure your motherboard isn't shorted to the chassis, and check all
jumper settings. Turn off virus protection in the BIOS before installing
Windows.

Hope this helps,

Dennis Thiel

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: