PCBUILD  September 1998

PCBUILD September 1998

Re: CD Burner on SB contoller ?

Javier Vizcaino <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:57:11 +0200

Hi.
I have next to me a PC with a COM3 port with an external modem, two disks on
primary IDE, one disk on secondary IDE, and a 4x CD on a SB16, jumpered (it
is not Plug and Pray) as quaternary (0x168+, 0x36E, IRQ10). This is a multi
OS PC, and this combination works in DOS/Windows, W95, OS/2 Warp 3, Linux
and NT4-SP3 Wks (also boots as Novell 4.10 Server, but nobody has told me
how to "serve" the CD). So let me tell you it is possible. Read on.
************************************
Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)

>Yes Javier I believe your right....I have jumpered my TEAC CD drive to a
>master and plugged it into my SB32 controller. If I boot off a Win 95 dos
>floppy that loads the correct CD  drivers and will work if the CD is on a
>motherboard channel ......does not work with the drive plugged into the SB
>controller The sound card works fine and the controller has never been used
>so I have no reason to suspect any thing is wrong with it.

I suggest you debug the SB IDE port first, placing a CD drive. If you boot
with a W95 floppy, I don't know how the Plug and Pray thing will appear, so
I think you can try with Intel ICU PnP software or Creative one (CTPNP or
similar; see Creative site), and configure the SB so that its IDE is the
quaternary (0x168+, 0x36E, IRQ10). If you load W95 completely, surely you
can configure the Plug and Pray thing, in Start/Configuration/Control
Panel/Device Management/System/CDROM controllers (or whatever the names: my
version is spanish). You should see "Creative IDE CD-ROM Drive", using
controller "sbide.mpd" (this is in a Creative floppy) and resources
0x168-0x16F, IRQ10 (incomplete info here: 0x36E misses).

>My modem is indeed on com 3... ..IRQ 10 is clear on this system. I just got
>off the phone with Creative tech support...who didn't have any idea how the
>controller normally works nor how to set it up in any OS but they did tell
>me that the card uses memory address 168 or 1E8 and does not require any
>special drivers....they also suggested I may have to assign it a memory
>address but they did not know how I would do this.

Well, in Spain nobody has never any idea how things work (but everybody
speaks a lot). Could be this happens everywhere. But usually in Creative
site there is a lot of info and drivers, and good searching capabilities.
The "memory address" is a stupidity, which explains why they have no idea:
you must deal with port addresses and the irq.

>How do I assign this SB32 IRQ 10 and a memory address to the controller and
>how do I make it work off a boot disk and NT 4?

Try first DOS, W95 floppy or W95 complete. NT is not Plug and Pray, but I
think you load the PnP thing as a service, or whatever. As said above, my
SB16 is not PnP.

Booting in NT4 SP3 (previous didn't support a CD other than in IDE primary
or secondary), under Start/Configuration/Control Panel/SCSI Adapters, I see
three IDE's (third with resources 0x168-0x16F, 0x36E, IRQ10, more info than
in W95), and on the third "MATSHITA CR-574", which is my CD. It seems that
for NT4 everything is SCSI.

It could happen that varied CD software doesn't work in IDE's other that
primary or secondary (as first NT4's). Programmers are usually short of
imagination, and testers test over limited equipments. Good luck.

>>However, if you have a COM3 port, take into account that the extraordinary
>>smart people who decided the standard addresses por tertiary IDE (0x1E8+,
>>0x3EE) aliased them with one of the eight addresses used by many COM3
>>(0x3E8-0x3EF) ports. This is mostly invisible, but may cause undetectable
>>errors, and may be rejected by NT. So make sure that the SB IDE is set to
>>the cuaternary (0x168+, 0x36E, IRQ10).
>
>>>I have a EIDE Mitsumi CD Recorder CR-2801TE installed as a Master on the
>>>secondary channel of the motherboards onboard controller. I have a 24
speed
>>>Teac installed as  slave to the Mitsumi. This is installed on a NT 4
Server
>>>and the setup works well.
>>>
>>>i would like to use the secondary channel for another drive. I have a
SB32
>>>PNP installed in this PC and when I installed NT I elected to enable the
SB
>>>on board EIDE Controller.  Is there any reason why I could not move the
two
>>>CD drives....the Mitsumi burner with the Teac slave to the SB controller.
>>>Would this work  or are there issues I am unaware of. Would it slow
>>>transfer rates down.....and / or create burner problems ?

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**