From:
Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 19:38:13 -0700
I was looking up some health-related stuff for my dog (she has giardia
again, dammit -- can't keep her nose out of those puddles!) and came across
a web site that said that giardia and celiac disease are often
mis-diagnosed for each other (in humans, that is).  The interesting thing
was that the site (yes, I forgot to copy the URL) said that Scotland has an
unusually high incidence of celiac disease.

Molly, my thought is that this ties in with our discussions on another list
about whether the Scots/Irish were pastoral, but not primarily agricultural
in the sense of living on large amounts of grain/starches, until quite
recently.  (I'm not gonna post it there, for fear of stirring another flame
war about vegetarianism!)

Anyone have an idea of what the incidence of celiac is in Scotland or
Ireland is, compared with, say, the Mediterranean?  The web site I was
visiting was primarily talking about giardia, not celiac, so no stats were
listed.  Just curious.

Corbie
I am *NOT* a rabid feminist!  I had my shots last year.