From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 17:22:23 EST

: Saw that there was a post advising you to try soymage as a subsitute for
: cheese.  Something to check--if your child is allergic to peanuts, is soy
: OK?  My son's allergist finds them related, so both soy and peanuts are off
: limits for us.  Sigh.  We are substituting cashew butter for peanut butter
: (peanuts are a legume, not a nut).  He'll accept it, but it's not the same.

    There is an almond cheese available (Almond Cheez is the name,
I think) which is quite good.  It is available in cheddar, mozzarella,
jalapeno, and herb varieties.  Perhaps these would be okay for your
son.  Try your local health food store to track it down.  The cheddar
and mozzarella are even available sliced!

    There is also very good milk substitute available called White
Almond Beverage.  Unlike soy milks, this actually tastes good on cereal.
Another really tasty one is Vegelicious, a powdered "milk" made from
potatoes and several other things (nothing wheat or corn, though).
I like drinking it straight, especially as chocolate milk.

    I know these are off-topic for a celiac list, but there seemed to
be sufficient interest.

                      Best wishes,

                      Kirsten Klinghammer