From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 08:11:29 -0400
Yesterday, on the way home, I decided to try a place nearby called "Sandy
Lane Meat Market.  Since they usually have less of a selection of meat that
a supermarket, I hadn't thought of them.  Anyway, I am all out of pemmican,
so I asked the guy cutting up some piece of meat if they had any suet.  He
asked me how much I wanted.  He came out of the walkin with a 4lb chunk of
it (don't try to tell me that cows are eating right either!).  Then I asked
him about getting a piece of raw meat thinly sliced.  He asked what I was
going to do with it and I told him that I was going to make pemmican.  He
pointed at a particular roast and told me that it would probably be right
for the amount of suet I got.  When he was cutting it up, he asked me, "you
want me to trim the fat off this, right?"  I was surprised and I said,
"Yeah, why, you know what I'm talking about?", and he said , "oh yeah", as
if it was no surprise at all that I wanted to make pemmican.  Anyway, he
did all this for no extra charge.  Not too shabby.  I forgot to ask about
uncured bacon, though...

John Pavao

----------
where does one >find a butcher these days?

>John Pavao

Hi, John

Try your yellow pages under "Butchers" or "Abbatoirs" (abbatoirs often have
an on-site store)  In large cities butchers can be hard to find, but why
not
take a Saturday drive to a rural area and check the phone books there?  The
city closest to our farm is Lindsay, Ontario - population 18,000 - but
there
are four butchers within a half-hour drive.