From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 15:23:55 EST

I have posted briefly on the fact that my son has autism, and that some
(much) behavioral improvement followed removal of gluten and casein from
his diet.  I have written a paper on the subject, pulling together infor-
mation from various sources as well as my own experience with this regimen.
Since I wrote this many people requested it and after incurring a lot of
expense sending it around, I made it availble through Bernard Rimland's
Autism Research Institute.  However, I also maintained rights to do with it
what I want, and I am posting an abbreviated copy of it here.  A few people
have asked that I do this and I have no objection.  Although it contains a
lot of information that "seasoned" celiacs will already know, it might have
something new in it.  Mostly I am posting it because a few people have
expressed an interest in why gluten might be harmful to the central nervous
system (rather than the gut.)  I am not a doctor, and the research this is
based on is not my own.  I have left out my son's story (which is in the
original version) but I have fairly compelling (albeit anecdotal) evidence
that this is important to at least ONE autistic.

I will also add for those who may not know, that autism is a developmental
disability that appears sometime before the age of 36 months.  It involves
typically, language and social skills.  It is an extremely broad spectrum
disability which includes people who do not speak at all and may engage in
sterotypic or even self-injurious behavior, to extremely "high functioning"
individuals who learn to cope well enough to "pass" as odd or eccentric.
There are usually various sensory disturbances as well, involving touch,
sight, hearing and even smell.

THE FOLLOWING IS LONG.  I HOPE NO ONE IS BOTHERED BY MY PUTTING IT ON THIS
LIST.  IT IS APPROXIMATELY TEN PAGES SHORTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, WHICH IS
STILL AVAILABLE SHOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED.  PLEASE NOTE THAT AT LEAST ONE
LISTMEMBER (PAUL SHATTOCK) IS QUOTED LIBERALLY.

An Experimental Intervention For Autism

     [To get a copy of this article, send an e-mail message containing]
     [the following line to [log in to unmask]:           ]
     [Or visit <http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/aut/autintro.html>  ]
     [                                    -the listowners, 11 May 1999]