PCBUILD  July 2015, Week 1

PCBUILD July 2015, Week 1

Re: new build problem

Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Jul 2015 11:10:24 -0500

Thanks Vincent for the tip. I had heard of Arctic
as the Rolls-Royce of thermal paste but not of
their coolers. As the mb in the ATX case is vertically
oriented, the Arctic which is not thru-bolted like
Cooler Master and Zalman (for AMD CPUs) is
questionable. At least it has 4 pin connector unlike
the Zalman 9500 which has the older 3 pin arrangement
plus a physical knob to change the fan speed
which is "conveniently" mounted on the outside
of the case with double-sided tape. I am still
waiting to hear from Gigabyte, again, but I
wonder if I will. Their original suggestion was
the Zalman 9900 which is too big for an ATX
case. So I'm still dithering over choosing a
cooler. Any additional suggestions would be
extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Eisenstadt
Austin TX

On 7/4/2015 12:37 PM, Vincent Winterling wrote:
> I would suggest looking at Arctic coolers.
>
> http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/cpu.html
>
> I’ve used them with AMD CPU’s on Gigabyte boards. Lower profile than the ones you described.
> --
> Vincent Winterling
> Vineland, NJ
>

> On 7/4/15, 10:08 AM, "Personal Computer Hardware discussion List on behalf of Michael Eisenstadt" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Not my first build. Old ATX case, new Corsair 450w psu,
>> AMD A8-7800 CPU and Gigabyte mb. In past builds
>> I used to buy OEM CPUs and cooler fan separately.
>> But now the only OEM CPUs are for servers in cloud
>> farms. I tried the stock cooler and at top speed its temp
>> stabilized at 58c. So I started a ticket with Giga.
>> support and they recommended a Zalman with
>> a copper interface with the CPU but it is too big
>> for an ATX case. The ticket is still open and maybe
>> after the holiday weekend there will be a tip from
>> their techies. There is a Cooler Master 4 copper
>> tubes imbedded AND TOUCHING in the aluminum
>> contact surface, but again too big for an ATX case.
>> They offer a 3 copper tupes model also imbedded in
>> the aluminum plate but not touching. The CPU is
>> rated at 65w. My previous build was an AMD Phenom
>> II 3 core CPU on a Gigabyte mb with a Gigabyte
>> gamer's cooler fan. I note that that CPU idles at 43c.
>>
>> So I need your cooler fan knowledge. Although
>> the CPU is said to be very overclockable, I dont
>> plan to overclock it. I intend to get a 4 pin interface
>> with the mb type cooler fan rather than a 3 pin
>> cooler.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Mike Eisenstadt
>>
>>                           PCSOFT's List Owners: