GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 10:47:07 -0500
Hi folks,

Still on the issue of our transition, I'd like to inform you that the Gambia-L
homepage is now online at St. Johns University.  The address is:

        http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html

Please make of note of the above address, and keep in HANDY!  I cannot
over-emphasize how frustrating it is to continue getting "please unsubscribe
me!" postings on the list.  It's a waste of time, effort, energy, and disk
storage space.

The above address not only allows you to request a subscription to Gambia-L, it
also enables you to unsubscribe yourself from the list without anybody's
intervention.  For this reason, I would like everyone to tell their friends or
other potential subscribers to use the homepage.  If they cannot for some
reason or the other, they should then send their request to:

You can just put "subscribe gambia-l firstname lastname" in your e-mail, and it
will be forwarded to the list owners.

You'll also notice that the Gambia-L homepage now as an interface to the
archives of postings.  If you click on "May 1999" you'll be taken to the
postings we've had so far on the list, since we moved to St. Johns.  Again,
notice how useless are all those "un-subscribe" postings!

You can also search the archives of postings from the Gambia-L homepage.  I
would advice you to make full use of these features of the homepage before you
send a question to the list about something someone had posted before.

I should also mention that our archives are now accessible to the public.
Anybody on the Web can now be privy to what has transpired on Gambia-L. This is
perfectly fine with me, but I'd like to know what the sentiment of the group
is.  The advantage of making our archives public include enabling other people
who are not subscribe keep abreast of the dialogue, doing away with the need
for individual passwords to access postings, and also allaying fears, unfounded
in my mind, that Gambia-L was created to serve this or that political
objective.  If the prevailing view is that we should keep them open to the
public, I'll leave it as is.  Otherwise, I can reconfigure it such that only
subscribers will be able to access them.

The Gambia-L homepage also enables you to post messages to the list from your
browser.  Furthermore, if you click on a message, you'll notice at the top that
you can also either reply to that message from your browser, and/or post a new
message to the list. I hope this is enough encouragement for you to get online
and explore what features Listserve has.  And please let me know if you have
any questions.

Finally, I would encourage you to take time to check out St. Johns index of
archives at:

        http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/

You'll find numerous lists hosted there, and you might even be interested in
subscribing to some of them.  For your information, Gambia-L with about 700
subscribers, is one of the largest lists on the St. Johns server.

I guess that's about all for now.  Have a great week, and best wishes.

Katim