GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheikh Tejan Nyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 18:30:01 +0100
Daws  Asbjoorn,
 The cabinets press release on the all-inclusive  reads as follows < The
cabinet at its meeting last thursday 15th April 1999,  held the view that the
country was not yet in a position to grapple with the complexities of the
phenomenon as it has seriously threatened  the livelihood of many entrepreneurs
who rely fully on the patronage of international tourist with unrestricted
movements. Its therefore directed that the package be discontinued at the end
of this tourist season...>  So this was the release  from govement. I am sure
that  we all have the understanding that  end of current  season is in october
1999. and we are all waiting to see if the sales by spies or any other tour
operator will continue  despite the announcement  by government. There has been
strong lobby by F.T.I  on the newspapers highlighting what they are doing in
this country in terms of  sponsorship.of rap groups, sports clubs ,bonus to
staff, investment etc.
 Let  me assure you all on the list that theall inclusive concept has a long
morning period before its laid to rest. The Government is striving with its
poverty alleviation programme and we do not expect it to be turn to  poverty
aggravation programme.  Whatever happens we shall continue to fight for the
survival of the Gambian people. The Gambian people have  never  cried foul
before in the tourism sector despite the huge unfair trading that exist. This
is the time and we will fight to the end .

The struggle continues.
Chi Jamma Tejan