From:
Frieda Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 17:57:59 -0500
As you know, I have been posting info on my dad's bypass surgery (5 of
them!)  He has also had diabetes for 12 years.  The other day just before
surgery, his count was 227 - I think below 125 is normal.

After surgery, despite his protest, they brought him apple juice, sweetened
tea, cranberry juice, chicken broth - the broth he quickly consumed, and a
'frozen pudding' stuff
He reminded them he was diabetic, and they said this was standard diet for
all open-heart patients, day one, regardless.  Well, just today, after two
days of diabetic meals, his BS was 330-something, and they have had to give
him shots of insulin.  He was also just told today that is a common thing
for open heart surgery patients post-op.

Grant, please e-mail me privately, if you will, and anyone else on the list
that is NIDDM, adult-onset diabetic, and tell me your experiences, lowcarb
or not.  I am really concerned for my dad's condition.  He also has a heat
rash he's had since the surgery Monday, and they have not determined what it
may be an allergic reaction to...I have really been talking up the lowcarb
way, and for once, my family seems to be listening.  But right now, I am
quite sure it will be done the doctor's way for quite a while, until Dad
feels up to 'trying something out of the standard.'  I personally can't wait
for the standards to change...I hope my dad is still around to change..he is
64.  Maybe, hopefully a very long time yet...but a shortER time I hope for
the changes!!

Frieda