GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kristen Velyvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:31:08 -0500
Hello Adama and others!

Some statistics on HIV/AIDS in The Gambia:

In 1997, the percentage of people ages 15-49 infected with HIV or with
AIDS was .5 - 1.9%, according to the UN.  Zimbabwe at that time had a
25.8% infection rate (highest rate in the world!).

As of January 1998, seroprevalence of HIV-1 for the low risk urban
population of The Gambia was 0.1 - 0.9 % (as indicated by seroprevalence
among pregnant women).  For the high risk urban population of The Gambia
(as indicated by seroprevalence among sex workers), the seroprevalence of
HIV-1 was 10.0 - 24.9%.

For West Africa, The Gambia has relatively low rates of infection, and for
all of Africa, quite low, but HIV/AIDS in The Gambia is nonetheless
worrisome!

As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm a graduate student in sociology.  It
just so happens I'm studying the spread of HIV in Senegal (thus, I just
happen to have statistics for the rest of Africa).

The data on HIV infection rates is not terrific, but they do give us some
indications.  So far, Senegal and The Gambia have not seen the high rates
seen elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa.  Nobody really knows why that is,
but make no mistake, the virus is present and the potential for wider
spread still exists!  My work is trying to identify some of the things
that have stopped further spread so far, so that we can support those
behaviors and perhaps design interventions based on local practices
(instead of undermining them, inadvertently or not).

I just wanted to share what I know about the prevalence of AIDS/HIV in The
Gambia, and support anyone who suggests safer sexual practices!  I don't
know about legislation, but there certainly are positive changes we could
all be a part of, especially if we don't fear talking with each other
about the issue and what needs to be done.

Best wishes to all.

Peace,

Kristen

Kristen Velyvis