Skip repetitive navigational links
'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Previous More Hitsmessage'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Next message'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Previous More Hitsin topic'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Next in topic'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Previous More Hitsby same author'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Next by same author'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Previous page (February 2010)'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Back to main PCSOFT page'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Subscribe or Unsubscribe to PCSOFT'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Reply'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Post a new message'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true") >Search >Proportional font >Non-proportional fontLog in

Re: Registry Problem?

Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:02:09 +1000

Mikee wrote:
>I use Windows XP SP3. I think I accidentally changed a registry. I do not
>understand this but I have a feeling it isn't a good thing. >>

You can't change the registry inadvertently, to do so you have to open
regedit and you wouldn't do that by accident. At worst, you may simply have
altered some settings which are then stored in the registry, but this is
usually no big deal, even if you got it a bit wrong.

First restart the computer. This alone often fixes minor glitches.

Can't help you with OE corruptions. OE is the worst email program ever
invented. Whilst problems like these are quite common, they are usually
very difficult to fix---hopefully someone familiar with OE will help you there.

Loss of Internet Explorer history is no big deal, CCleaner I think empties
these out by default so that would be quite normal.
CCleaner is far too aggressive in my opinion, and needs to be using with
great caution, if at all. It rarely makes any real difference to
performance and is hardly worth the risk that you may remove something useful.

While on this point, Browser histories are a prime target for any trojans
which may be lurking in your system. These will report details of all
websites you've visited and searches you've made. When this info is sent
out to their masters, you then become a prime target for spam emails
targeting those interests. Some people like to empty their browser
histories every time the browser closes, for extra security. Depends how
paranoic you want to be, and how good your antispyware protection is. (I
personally like to keep the browser history, as I find it useful. I prefer
to rely on good internal security to keep the nasties out).

As Tom says, try a different restore point.  If none work, that can be a
sign that you may have some trojan infection. Trojans protect themselves by
preventing Restore from working.  Run a full system scan with a good
anti-spyware program such as Malwarebytes or Superantispyware (both free).
If these won't install or update, that's another sign that your computer is
infected.  Also update and run a scan
with whatever anitvirus program you have.

Winpatrol gives you pretty good protection against inadvertent and
unauthorised registry entries, so you were probably right to deny that.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing Windows Mediaplayer. It's very basic,
looks pretty but is woefully short on functions. There are plenty of free
alternatives you can which are far superior. eg VLC Player, Gom Player,
Kantaris. Just Google for them.

Don Penlington

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml