From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:45:48 -0500
At 18:35 03-02-98 -0800, Barry wrote:
>All I can say is good luck getting ahold of Spacewalker. I too have a Spacewalker
>mobo with the same chipset and chip. After doing the same installs as you I had
>and still have the same problem. I have tried numerous times to solve the ? in
>device manager/ other devices/PCI BRIDGE,and PCI CARD. My system seems to run
>correctly, but I suspect if the PCI bridge and card were performing to their
>capacities that my transfer rate would be greatly excellerated.
>>
>Bryon wrote:
>> I recently purchased a ShuttleHot 569 mobo (TX) with Intel 200MMX CPU and a
>> Quantum Fireball 3.2 UDMA hard drive.  Win95 indicates I'm running in MS-DOS
>> compatability mode.  I've run the Win95 patch disk that came with the
>> motherboard, and the Flash BIOS for PCI bridge.  The Flash "took" and  is
>> indicated at boot up.  There was also a Bus Master IDE program which installs
>> Intel PCI Bus Master IDE controller.  In the Control Panel under Device
>> Manager there is an exclamation mark beside the Primary IDE Controller and the
>> Secondary IDE Controller.

Hi Guys

I don't know what is on that Shuttle disk, but your symptoms correspond to
what happens if you don't run the Intel HX/VX/TX patch. Particularly if
you have a yellow "!" in front of "PCI Bridge" in Device Manager. That
means that Win95 could not correctly identify and configure the Southbridge
part of your chipset. This is big trouble because this connects the
[EIDE controller/ISA bus/IO stuff] to the south end of the PCI bus.
(The Northbridge connects the [CPU/Memory] to the north end of the
PCI bus.) Hope I haven't oversimplified. Anyway...

The "PCI Card" is probably your Universal Serial Bus. If either of you are
running Win95 OSR2.0, download and install the USB Supplement. It's at
http://www.amptron.com/usbsupp.zip
If you don't have OSR2, this is pointless. After this,

Download and execute the INTEL patch. It's at any of these sites:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/pcisets/setupex.exe
ftp://download.intel.com/design/pcisets/busmastr/setupex.exe
ftp://194.242.71.102/design/pcisets/busmastr/setupex.exe
http://www.bmdrivers.com/drivers/setupex.exe

Then you can install the busmastering drivers. You need version 3.01 or later
for the TX chipset. (Earlier than 3.01 are for FX, HX, VX chipsets only.
Version 3.01 works with 430FX, HX, VX *and* TX chipsets.)
ftp://download.intel.com/design/pcisets/busmastr/bmide_95.exe
http://www.bmdrivers.com/drivers/bmide_95.exe

If you correctly install setupex and then the busmastering drivers and
still have yellow "!" and/or MS-DOS Compatability Mode, the problem is
most likely with your busmastering drivers.
http://www.bmdrivers.com/fixes.shtml has TONS of information for you if you
end up in MS_DOS Compatability mode. If anyone cannot access this website,
email me and I'll send you the appropriate information by email.

Regards,
Bill

                         Need help with PCBUILD:
                [log in to unmask]  or  http://nospin.com