From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 17:27:57 GMT

On 11/7/94, Wendy Betts wrote:

Wa> Bill wrote that having a biopsy done after being on the gluten-free
Wa> diet is not conclusive. I'm in this situation at the moment - I
Wa> was put on the diet without having a biopsy and now it appears that I
Wa> need one to confirm the diagnosis. I've been on a gluten-free diet for
Wa> almost 2 1/2 years. I'd like to hear more about the possibility that
Wa> the biopsy won't be conclusive. (I will be doing a gluten
Wa> challenge first.)

Wendy, I hope someone else can answer this better than I.  From my reading, I
recall that some, but not all, doctors now feel there is no reason to do a
gluten challenge and biopsy once you have been a confirmed CD.  I also recall
reading that for some Celiacs, it takes several months of gluten consumption
to show damage to the intestines (and for others, a single slice of bread
will do it).  You have to wonder whether it is worth it to (probably) damage
your intestines at least temporarily.

Elaine Monarch at the Celiac Disease Foundation mentioned that at the
International Gastroenterology Conference last month, she was told about a
rectal gluten challenge which is far less harmful.  Perhaps you should check
with her (818) 990 2354.

Bill