GAMBIA-L  October 2007, Week 4

GAMBIA-L October 2007, Week 4

Re: skin bleaching .why the silence from black media ?

SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:16:44 +0100

haruna ,very enlightening .God bless .

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sountou,

I am pleased you recognize this soul-suicide for what it is. I am of the
same view as you so I associate myself entirely with your notes here. I want to
share with you though that Skin-bleaching is politics and it has as much to do
about Democracy as the Rule of Law.

Democracy is predicated on the worth of a people and their recognition of
such worth. If you do not think yourself worthy of living in your own skin, how
will you recognize the intrinsic rights attached to that worth? In other
words, you will be forever looking for worth in another skin that have not and
never will appertain to you. These and other inferiority complexes are what
drive our folk to say things like: "Democracy is a Western system of
Government", "Gambians are not ready for Democracy", and this disdain for ebony is what
enabled slavery, and the heirarchy in slavery and colonialism based on the
hue of ebony.

Generally, law is based on society and her norms (no pun intended). When
those laws are not based on the society's real disposition and acknowledged
value, then it doesn't really matter whether that law rules or not does it? Let
me share this another way: When you do not have much of a stake in a certain
law or constitution or you are too busy changing your identity or belonging to
that constitution, you are generally not driven to either sustain or
challenge that law.

One of the reasons why Gambian men do not speak on skin bleaching is because
they are themselves aiders and abettors of their women and therefore have a
guilty conscience. Think about Yahya for a minute. Do you think that Yahya
can commit all these crimes that he is accused of committing? I mean
realistically. Those who feign so will have been the ones to complete the crime in
anticipation of value from Yahya. Reason why no one in Gambia is not up in arms
when crimes of wanton disappearances and torture are really not disdainful
enough for other, and those who are humiliated and tortured, when released, will
gladly accept another term of abuse and humiliation. Don't you think the
slave masters had it too easy?

I will not marry any woman who bleaches her skin. That is what I can do to
stop the soul-genocide. I cannot befriend a man who is married to a wife who
bleaches her skin. If I do unawares, the friendship is terminated upon notice
of such. I have forsaken my sisters, mothers, aunts, etc. who bleach their
skin and they have all been made aware. I do what the individual can do. I don't
talk about it ad-infinitum. I do my part to yield a solution. I hope you can
find enough strength to give notice to your friends and family members of
your singular abhorrence. Forget about Pan-Africanist brothers and or sisters.
They aim to dilute their crimes, ignorance, and shortcomings in a larger
group. That's all. The pretense makes me absolutely sick and nauseous.

Haroun Masoud. MQDT. Darbo. Al Mutawakkil.

In a message dated 10/22/2007 12:05:24 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,