From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 05:51:31 -0800

William Elhus writes:

> On 11/13/94 , Cathy Flick wrote:
>
> SC-Wa> Sheila--
> SC-Wa>   definitely find a source for Rice Dream products pronto! Your
> SC-Wa> daughter might find their frozen ice cream substitute and puddings and
> SC-Wa> milk substitute to make her way a little easier.... They are made
> SC-Wa> from brown rice, during processing the rice is converted to complex
> SC-Wa> sugars so they don't even need to add sweetener
>
> Someone told me that Rice Dream uses barley enzymes to break down the rice
> and that there can be a residue of gluten left.  I wish that I had written
> all the details down at the time I was told this.  It may or may not be
> correct.

I just pulled a tetra-pak of liquid rice dream (vanilla) from my pantry.
There is no mention of anything that might leave a gluten reside in the
ingredient list, which reads as follows: filtered water, brown rice
(partially milled), safflower oil, vanilla, sea salt.

Note that "partial milling" is generally a *mechanical* (not chemical or
enzymatic) process.

> Has anyone called or written Rice Dream and asked about this particular
> question? I will try to find my notes on this.

If you need to write:

Imagine Foods
299 California Avenue
Palo Alto  CA  94306

This address is good for product information and their free recipe booklet.

> Shiela then wrote:
>
> SC-Wa>Since she *is* a rice lover, i think i'll start with the rice
> SC-Wa>dream products.  But how do i get them?  I've never heard of them
> SC-Wa>before.  Are they available through mail-order?

Check the local health food store, or contact Imagine Foods at the above
address.

> They are at many health-food stores, including Mrs. Gooch's in Los Angeles,
> Wild Oats in New Mexico.
>
> Bill Elkus

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"