From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 20:16:07 -0800
Battery life can vary. Age -- shelf life -- is the most likely culprit.
It's the age of the batteries; they're most likely much older than the
box they were installed in. Since this is a 486 system, and the
assembled box may have sat for some time before you got it, I'd say your
2 years is about right, depending on what kind of batteries -- most
likely lithium -- they are. Assuming the box's fan is working -- and
you'd see other problems before -- heat should not be your biggest
problem. Heat during transport is another matter.

Batteries are an instance of getting what you pay for. An example to
illustrate is 35mm film. Camera stores often have drastically reduced
prices on major label film -- many times this is actually GREY MARKET
stuff. Kodak, say, makes film in New York, a reseller ships several
thousand rolls to Europe. They resell a few thousand rolls left to
another reseller in Asia. This guy has, say 1000 rolls, that he sells to
a mailorder house in the U.S. THe mail order place gets a great deal
because the film is nearing an experation date, and the Asian dealer
could make money on a currency transaction alone. You buy the film in
the U.S., it was manufactured here, should be fresh -- but you have no
idea what kind of care it got shipped around the world by various
people.

In these days of global commerce, products with special handeling needs
and limited life span could suffer improper handeling. Fortunately, most
computer parts are pretty robust, and even batteries are good for
several years.

Regards,
Jim Griffin

--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.

                         Need help with PCBUILD:
                [log in to unmask]  or  http://nospin.com