PCBUILD  May 2006

PCBUILD May 2006

Re: Partition question

Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 May 2006 06:17:34 -0400

I did exactly this at one time with an older PC using Win98SE (still
working) and had partitioned the HDD in much the same way. While an OS
re-install on another partition does not affect the actual program files
installed elsewhere, any newly registered dll's or reference to shared ones
within the OS created by the install of the programs will not be
re-established during the reinstall of the OS. What might work (at least it
did for me) is a current image of the OS on another partition. I used
Symantec's Partition Magic 8.0 to separate the HDD into several partitions
on an 80Gb HDD after everything had been originally installed and used one
of them to create an image of the partition with the OS. When I did
something that needed a re-install of the OS, I installed the OS onto the
primary partition (which was recognized during install) and the copied the
image (still a rather lengthy process). It did help avoiding having to
re-install all of the programs I had as some of them can no longer be found.
I don't know whether this would work on XP or 2000.
Of course now, rather than partition an existing drive as Chipo Chika has
indicated, I backup the entire primary drive to an external unit. ;^) YMMV.

Chris Ryan
E-Mail:

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml