From:
Martin Purbrook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 13:41:12 GMT

> Am I the only celiac on this list who BUYS food rather than prepare it at
> home?
>
> George Balch

You will be pleased to hear that you aren't.  I am not ashamed to admit that I
am a buyer rather than a maker.

Here in the UK, coeliacs (UK spelling) can get a number of basic items on
prescription from their doctor, including bread, flour, pasta, biscuits, etc.

The Coeliac Society of the UK publishes an annual Food List, containing the
names of manufactured foods that have been declared to the CS as being GF.
As long as I take this and the regularly-published amendment lists with me
to the supermarket when I go shopping, I (hopefully) am not buying anything
containing gluten.  A monthly visit to the doctors for a repeat prescription
to top up the basics keeps me on the stright and narrow.

Regards,

Martin Purbrook

P.S. I have only recently subscribed to this list, and notice a singular lack
of traffic from the UK.  Are there any more UK-based subscribers out there??