From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 22:02:38 GMT

On 11/15/94 at 7:52 PM, Wendy wrote:

SC-Wa> The gluten-testing kit is available from the Gluten-free Pantry
SC-Wa> for around $50 for 6 tests. We've tried it once and the results
SC-Wa> seemed to correlate with my experience--a very small level of
SC-Wa> gluten in a product (KC Masterpiece) that I'd had a mild
SC-Wa> reaction to. However, word is that the home test is *not*
SC-Wa> reliable and the GFP is taking it off the market for that
SC-Wa> reason.

I spoke with Beth at Gluten-Free Pantry over the weekend about this test kit.
 She said that she plans on continuing to offer it.  She said that it has
false-positives but no false-negatives.  The false positives seem to have to
do with acidic foods.  She has better luck when she uses distilled water.
The test also will not detect gluten from oats.

Beth tells people not to depend on this test as a sole determinant of what is
GF, but that it can be a useful backup to your research.  For example, she
uses the test kit to do a final test on her own baking mixes.  Although she
uses only GF sources, just to be sure, she tests it once at the end.

Bill Elkus