PCBUILD  March 2005

PCBUILD March 2005

Re: At wits end

Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:42:47 -0500

What is this Win XP Update disk? If it's a Gateway ME to XP disk, I suspect
it won't work in this application. You may need an OEM XP install disk.
The memory you've selected is not on the approved vendor list in the mobo
manual.
Be sure you follow the recommended memory configurations in the manual.
*************

I recently finished my first complete build from the ground up.  I am using
a ASUS P4R800V-Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor, with a
Western Digital 40 GB IDE HDD.  I also have a DVD ROM, CD-R/RW and Floppy
from my old Gateway computer in it.  It's powered by a 450W power supply.
At first I ran into some grounding problems with the board contacting the
case, but resolved those, and have the computer booting up and posting fine.
I originally had 2 256 MB PC3200 DDR RAM from AMPO made from Wintec in the
system.  I booted it up with the Windows ME startup disk, ran fdisk and
format on the HDD just fine, I then inserted my Windows XP Update disk into
the DVD-ROM drive and restarted it, it read the CD, began to load the files
and when it got to the point when it said "starting windows", the computer
just shut off without warning.  I trie d the same thing with the CD in the
CD-R/RW drive and the same thing happened.  I then tried it with the jumper
on the HDD on master, cable select, took the jumper completely off, no
change.  I downloaded memtest86+ and made a boot disk out of it and ran
that, and 1 or 2 seconds after the program loaded and began running it the
computer shut off.  I tried it with each ram stick in the DIMM slot
individually and it shut off sooner than it had with both.  Though, when I
start up the computer and enter the BIOS it reads the RAM and displays the
correct amount of memory.  This lead me to believe perhaps the RAM was bad.
I then went out today and bought a PNY 512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM and tried
that running the memtest86+.  The test ran a couple seconds longer than it
had with the other two sticks, but the computer still shut off.  I tried it
in each DIMM slot and ran the test for each one and for some slots it ran
longer than others, but inevitably at some point it shut off.  I'm at my
wits e nd and have no idea what to do,

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml