C-PALSY  January 2005

C-PALSY January 2005

Re: Emailing: Brainstorm for Parkinson's

ken barber <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:54:36 -0800

great article. i'd hate to think i had to lay still
for eight hours. i wish my mom could have had this
option.

https://www.hadassah.org/pageframe.asp?section=news&page=per.html&header
> [...]
> growth in this therapy
> worldwide.
>
> In summer 2001, Dr. Israel returned to Israel
> following a two-year
> fellowship at the Oregon Health and Sciences
> University in Portland.
> Armed mainly with determination-no additional budget
> was available-he
> set about creating a deep-brain stimulation program
> that has made
> Hadassah Israel's leading functional neurosurgery
> center.
>
> "I started by building a multidisciplinary team,"
> Dr. Israel explains.
> "It comprises myself, three neurologists, a
> neuropsychologist, a
> physiotherapist and Dr. Bergman. It's a team that
> has proven very
> productive in both research and clinical work."
>
> His next step was acquiring the equipment. A
> $180,000 grant from the
> Nash Family Foundation bought microrecording
> equipment. The navigation
> computer, which the team uses to locate the
> subthalamic nucleus,
> however, dates from 1997. "To calculate programming
> coordinates and
> design a treatment plan should take 10 minutes," Dr.
> Israel says. "It
> often takes up to two hours because of this dated
> hardware. We need
> $130,000 to replace it."
>
> In January 2003, the team performed its first
> deep-brain stimulation.
> Like the 15 performed since then, this treatment,
> which still is too new
> to have more than a 10-year follow-up, was a
> complete success.
> "Neurologists tend to be very conservative," says
> Dr. Israel, "but we're
> receiving referrals from all Israel's major
> neurology centers, as well
> as referrals from abroad."
>
> The number of applicants increased in spring 2004,
> when Israel
> Television showed one of Dr. Israel's Parkinson's
> patients prior to
> surgery and again two weeks afterward. The dramatic
> improvement
> generated over a hundred inquiries a day for the
> week following the
> broadcast-Larisa Korvan's among them.
>
> "This treatment isn't appropriate for all patients,"
> says Dr. Israel.
> "We must be careful in our selection. Depression,
> dementia or other
> illnesses will exclude some. Age may exclude others,
> although we try not
> to make it a limiting factor."
>
> None of this applies to Korvan. If her wish is
> realized, she will be
> admitted to Hadassah the day before the procedure
> and her medication
> will be halted. At 6:30 the next morning she will go
> to the operating
> room, where a three-dimensional frame will be fitted
> around the outside
> of her head. Her brain will be scanned and the image

=== message truncated ===

name=pageframe.url