From:
Chris Fincham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 19:32:48 -0400
>Cooking tips and times and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>A friend has asked me for help, especially for a way to do it buried in the
>ground style.

Okay, get out your shovel.  For a 125lb pig or wil boar, dig a pit about 4'
deep, 6' long, 4' wide in solid soil (not sandy).  Build a fire in the
bottom - oak or hickory wood, as you want smokeless, long-lasting coals -
three to four hours before you plan to put in the meat.  Keep the fire going
until you have a bed of coals 8-10" deep.  You can now line the pit with
stones, then leaves - you need lots of large, edible leaves that won't
impart any strange flavours to the meat.  Slather the pig with sauce or
brush with oil (remember to leave the skin on) & place a bunch of onions,
garlic etc. inside if you wish.  Place the pig atop the leaves, cover with
more leaves, and cover with dirt.  Leave it to cook for 12-14 hours.

It's may be easier to forget the stones & leaves, cut the pig into 20lb
chunks, slather with sauce or brush with oil, wrap it in butcher's paper,
place it in wet burlap bags secured with twists of wire, place the bags on
the coals and cover everything with dirt.  Leave for 10-12 hours.

IMO, this method of cooking isn't worth the trouble unless you have room to
dig a permanent BBQ pit.  An easier way is to rent an industrial-sized BBQ
and spit-roast the beast.

Chris