Help for AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AXSLIB-L Home

AXSLIB-L  December 2004

AXSLIB-L December 2004

FW: Michael Hart's take on the Google announcement

"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>

EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:47:40 -0600

Dear Michael Hart,

Thanks for synthesizing the currently available information about the
recently announced Google ebook project, and for your willingness to
incorporate further questions. I wish to add two questions, both of
which pertain to the access of online information by people using
assistive technology:

1.      To which extent is Google considering the needs of people using
assistive technology (such as screen readers) in connection with its
book digitization project?

Further explanation:
The digitization of print material has opened tremendous opportunities
for people with certain disabilities, such as those who are blind are
visually impaired. Digitized text, if made available in an accessible
format (.i.e., ASCII-based text), can be easily accessed with the aid of
assistive technology. For example, specialized software (now sometimes
even incorporated into standard software) can convert ASCII text into
speech or Braille. Judged by your draft answer to question 1 ("What will
the Google Print sites be like?"), it appears that Google has no
intention of providing access to longer stretches of text. This would
violate a very basic principle of accessible web design and exclude
those people who, potentially, could benefit the most.

2.      To which extent are the libraries partnering with Google
violating their own campus policies pertaining to the accessibility of
their institutional web-based resources?

Further explanation:
Many universities have policies in place that require web pages to be
designed according to certain web accessibility standards. Quite likely,
at least some of the libraries/universities involved (University of
Michigan,
Stanford, Oxford U.K., Harvard) have such a policy in place. (I have
contacted the individual institutions, and I'm waiting for their

I would appreciate if you would add these questions to your existing
list. I'd be happy to keep you up-to-date and contribute to their
answers as I gather more information.

Axel

Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D.
Associate Professor