GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:49:29 -0500
Hi folks,

I'm writing to cause trouble.  What else can you expect from me? ;-)

But seriously, I would like to say that Ebrima's idea to create a directory of
"Progressive" Gambian "Intellectuals" is a great one.  But it needs some
fixing.

What needs fixing, in my mind, are the two operative words "progressive", and
"intellectual."  I would have a problem with creating a directory of
progressives only for a number of reasons.  First, who is "progressive"?
Second, is there going to be a system for certifying the Ebrima is
"progressive" one year after he's been included in the directory?  And finally,
if there indeed is a need for having a directory of progressives, what makes
them so special as to deserve more effort at creating their directory than,
say, the conservatives?

I also have similar problems with the "intellectuals" bit of this great idea.
It is my opinion that no one category of people has a monopoly on great ideas.
And to think that only "intellectuals" are deserving of a directory, and not
other professionals, would be a great mistake.  Besides, let's ask the frank
question: what has our "intellectuals" done for us lately?  As far as I know,
we do get regular doses of grammatically correct English, decorum (sometimes),
and not much else.  I mean my folks in Ballanghar are still farming pretty much
like they always have, despite a steady increase in the size and depth of the
Gambian "intellectual" pool.   I say we start moving away from the elitism that
has not served us well.

The issue then becomes how to make Ebrima's already great idea even better.  I
say let's start off from the premise of creating a database of any and all
Gambians, and well wishes who are prepared to put their expertise to use for
the benefit of The Gambia.  Now this is a large basket, but I think better that
than another elitist directory that serves no purpose other than making people
feel good for no good reason.  I'm just suggesting we look at the possibility
and benefits of judging who to include in the directory on the basis of what
they can contribute, and not who they are or what they do.

I guess that's about all the trouble I can muster for now.  Have a great
evening, and best wishes!

Katim