GAMBIA-L  January 2004

GAMBIA-L January 2004

(8) ebou colly revisited G-L archives

Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:54:00 EST

Date:       Mon, 29 May 2000

From:       ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:    THE GAMBIAN ACQUIRES LOTS OF ARMS FROM LIBYA, WADE SPOKE
CORRECTLY

GAMBIA ACQUIRES LOTS OF ARMS FROM LIBYA WADA SPOKE CORRECTLY

The latest controversy over the Cassamance and the weapons- from-Libya issue,
another political back-blasts against Yaya’s deceptive diplomatic activities
came to me not as a surprise at all. Looking at it objectively, Ex-President
Abdou Joof might have by now ended up accusing Yaya of the very things
President Wada is attacking the Gambia government of wrongly doing behind their back.
President Joof who seemed to have been playing for time in order to wait for
the outcome of the last presidential election he lost was in the end fully
aware that Yaya’s mediation efforts in the Cassamance problem was all deception.
Anyhow it was also possible that President Joof was certain of his political
downfall; hence he finally decided to wait and later pass the burden of the
Cassamance problem to his successor, a crisis the former president later found,
wrongly or rightly, associated with his personal political ineptitude. Yet I can
bet my soul that President Joof in his final days was fully aware of the
deceptive position of the Gambia Government on the Cassamance crisis that is now
over a decade and half old.

In early 1999 for instance, when Yaya just started his Cassamance diplomatic
initiative, the Libyan government delivered multiple-“Katusha”- rockets to
the State House which the whole diplomatic community in the Gambia including the
Senegalese Ambassador in The Gambia were aware of at the time. These weapons
were never taken to the GNA, yet they were known for their destructive
ballistic capability of hitting 25-kilometer range and can simultaneously fire 120
rounds when mounted on the three vehicles they were supplied with. I have the
inventory information to these weapons and more deadly ones supplied to Yaya by
the Libyan government, which were discreetly collected from Yundum
International Airport at the nights, they were delivered. These weapons were directly
transported to the State House and later transferred to Kaninlai for reasons
known to Yaya alone. The GNA had nothing to do with them, and whether they are
still in the Gambia at all is another food for thought. If they are still in the
Gambia however nobody should be worried about any threat they may pose. Yaya
does not understand the dynamics of such weapons, technically or tactically.
The day he attempts to employ them in a combat field will be the day he spells
him final doom.

Or should I give the armored-carriers inventory and their weaponry supplied
to the Gambia by Libya two years ago? So what is Dr. Sidat protesting about in
President Wada’s correct statement that The Gambia government was acquiring
weapons from Libya? But perhaps, Dr.Sidat Jobe may never have had any knowledge
of these weapons, because being the intellectual whore he is to Jammeh, his
master hardly gave him the correct picture of what he is up to, especially those
hidden devious activities he always has under his nasty sleeves. However, if
Dr.Jobe is honest to himself, a rear quality among those who have surrendered
their souls to this despot, he should be cautiously conducting his errands
knowing that Yaya is not at all a neutralists in the Cassamance conflict. That is
why on the numerous times the Gambia government had gathered the MFDC and the
Senegalese government representatives for peace talks at Atlantic Hotel
Banjul, not for once did Yaya attend or make his position known to the public on
the irreconcilable disagreement of the two parties. Understandably, the rebels
have been calling for total independence and nothing less, while the Senegalese
government, has made it crystal clear that independence for the province was
out of all discussable agenda. Now, if Yaya came up with the peace proposal,
how come since that time no body knows where he stands on these two
antagonistic positions? And if he is the neutralist he is claiming to be in the crisis,
what are his special ideas acceptable by both parties for a long term solution
to the problem? Take it from me, the moron has none. No wonder, almost every
time a meeting was held at the Atlantic Hotel, the rebels would in the next day
launch a cross-border raid from Bissau into Cassamance. Did any one ever stop
to ask why things should happen that way? The answer is simple. Yaya
privately speaks with double tongue on this Cassamance issue. When privately talking
to former President Joof about his position, Yaya would give the impression
that he was against the rebel’s demand for independence, the very contrary
position he would privately impress to the rebels. Therefore coming out publicly to
say whose position he supports would expose him to either the rebels or the
Senegalese government. Anyway, Yaya’s commitment for the Cassamance rebels to
have independence is an open secret to those of us who were very close to him;
and Dr. Sidat Jobe is no exception among those inner core close associates.
Yaya would always, with mad obsession insult and swear against Senegal for
disallowing Cassamance to have its independence although he would still be shameless
to call Abdou Joof telling him sweet words about how he disagreed with the
rebels’ demand for independence.

 Another secret I must reveal to show Yaya’s deceptive position on the
Cassamance conflict is the fact that he has been encouraged and fully approved the
treatment of wounded rebels at the RVH in Banjul. We had challenged him on the
dangerous ramifications of the practice in the wake of his mediation efforts
but he has always defiantly stated that the rebels had the right to be given
all treatment in his country. Statistics of rebels being treated with gun shot
wounds at the RVH are available at the hospital’s records office. There is no
doubt that the Senegalese intelligence was tracking all these Jammeh
activities. Most likely, that may have contributed to Yaya’s construction of a more
accessible hospital at Bwiam. But funny-talking Dr. Jobe might miss all these
things. Now I am telling him with my eyes and ears all opened to monitor his
activities. I have more to tell if he so needs it. Abdou Joof might have been too
much a spent force to mind the fool’s actions but Abdoulie Wada who is just
fresh on the treacherous arena would not unnecessarily “Maslaha” to the
detriment of a state he is honestly inclined to build for the Senegalise people. So
let Dr. Sidat Jobe shut up if he cannot tell the truth.

Ebou Colly