GAMBIA-L  January 2004

GAMBIA-L January 2004

Re: More Gambia On Swedish TV - January 14/ Tourism Propaganda.

Edie Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:52:53 +0000

In responding to this article, I will add and support the fact that one of the commentators said as poverty plays a big role in this matter. However, tourism came together with its advantages and disadvantage and little or nothing can be done to remedy those disadvantages but to control it, is very possible hence stopping it, will be counterproductive regarding to individual benefit in the industry. This particular trend does not refer only the unemployed, but as well hotel workers, small business vendors even the police and the tourist guides etc and etc. as I always said, human being will ever be opportunist especially when the western lifestyle, which dominated the whole developing countries is in the picture.

Let us just fancy, any educated Gambian will for my money loved to further their education in Europe than any of the African well known universities. As well someone can even have a good in the Gambia, but when opportunity aroused for him or her to travel to western countries, will not hesitate on that offer.

Again if they only know what it is like in the western world and again  seeing is the believing because if we want tell them what it is like, they will always say, why are you then living there? and no answer will satisfy them.

Who on the other hand, is a prostitute? "prostitute is someone taking money for sex" correct me if I am wrong. we are talking about Binta, Fatou, and Mariama etc, how about Modou and fabakary? are they just guides? Talking from experience, I was first brought to Europe by a white woman and before then, I met lots of Scandinavian women who were so nice to me by spending and giving me money etc to catering for my living. Sometimes, I even get more money in my pocket to spend to the Gambian standard than living here in Europe now, and was still hoping to come and settle in Europe one day. Never, I called myself a prostitute, but a guide. However, saying the Gambia is not a sex capital is a history hence tourism is concern, it have a great impact on revolutionising our believes and habits in tradition and cultural ways of living.

Sheikh Tejan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Bro Oko ,
You will be surprise to learn the number of Gambian are involve in the sex trade .We have been
playing down this issue of sex tourism for long and we have to accept that it is a reality and our
own sisters are involve . It is no longer Isatou from Senegal or Beatrice from Liberia or Alice
from Nigeria but Fatou and Amie from The Gambia are also part of it .I have worked in hotels for
years and what i have seen over the years is enough for me to make this conclusion . Poverty has a
part to play, but the absence of " jom " and " ngor " is not part of most of our youngsters
vocabulary .
Chi Jamma ,
Bro Sheikh Tejan .