EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS December 2003

Re: Greater dissonances

Chuck Burns <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:28:18 -0800

To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

From: "Tim Rowell" <[log in to unmask]>

> My question is two-fold:
>
> 1) What are some of the other dissonances we must deal with? The
above
> could be classified as a sedentary lifestyle, I guess.
>
> 2) How do we deal with those?  How do we bring them closer to an
existence
> that is more in-line with our evolutionary heritage?
e-mail.

Tim,
To be simplistic (and simple is often the best answer) I'd say - move!
We are designed to walk and we need to make a practice of doing it
daily. I've been eating paleo for one year now and have dropped 87
pounds. About three months ago I started walking daily. At this point
in time I walk an average of a little over an hour a day. Some days 45
minutes, some days 2 hours, some days in the hills and sometimes on
the beach. I can't tell you how much better I feel.  The effect is far
beyond the 400 to 500 calories it burns and the weight loss. I
recently read an article on Paul Chek's website called "The Power of
Walking" ( http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=38 ). He
talks about walking effect on metabolism, circulation and the internal
organs. At some time in the near future (about another 40 pound loss)
I'm going to add running the mix. I plan on doing it in an interval
fashion. I am thoroughly convinced that it is necessary to move in our
primary gait, walking, to maintain health. I would suggest reading
"Walking" by Casey Meyers. In addition to all the normal stuff he
talks about the evolution of walking.
Chuck