PCBUILD  July 2003

PCBUILD July 2003

Re: Problems saving changes to C:\

Michele <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:11:03 +0100

Hi, thank you so much to everyone who got back to me about my problem which
has caused me so many sleepless nights just lately.
It turned out that although my network adapters were new, at least one of
them were faulty by the looks of things. After alot of fiddling and removing
and reinstalling drivers, I finally got 2 pc's networking together, but the
3rd was a total loss. I took the chance today with money I haven't really
got, and I went out and bought another 2 cards just to put my mind at rest,
and no sooner had I installed them and powered up the computers, I had all 3
computers working together. Seems I had set everything right after all.
One of the pc's however, will only connect through the 'uplink' connection
on the router, but I'm assuming that it's because originally I had been
using that particular pc with a switch. (maybe it thinks it's still
connecting via a switch? I'm not sure) It really makes no difference
however, as long as it's going to be a stable connection.(It had better be
after all this trouble)
The worst thing about this whole situation is that when I needed an ethernet
card for this particular computer that I am using at present, I found one
which I had removed from an ancient computer ages ago. I had to retrieve it
from my children at one time, who decided they wanted to play 'frisby' with
it!
I took the chance, blew the dust off, and installed it,powered up, and it
just installed all the right drivers by itself. I couldn't believe it. The
next time I restarted the computer, it also installed some sort of tv
drivers as well, so it seems like it might not be a bad one at all. It
works, that's all that's important. If I remember rightly, it's SMC.
Once again, thank you to everyone who tried their best to help. Obviously,
no one counted on me purchasing faulty cards, especially me.
Michele Sayer

Are you connecting the PC's one at a time?  You know that you can't connect
two PCs to a cable modem at the same time without the router.

The adapter address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF is the MAC address of the network
card which is unique to each network PC card.  Some broadband ISP's assign
their IP addresses to only one MAC address.  That is why most routers let
you "Clone" your network adapter's MAC address to the router so your ISP
thinks it is still talking the original network card.  My original ISP did
that and I had to call them if I changed network cards so they would
recognize me as an authorized customer.   It may be that your ISP has
recorded the first PC's MAC address and doesn't recognize the second PC's
network card MAC address as one of their customers.  If this is the
problem, you may have to clone your first pc's MAC address to the router.

Doug

At 7/10/2003 10:58 PM, Michele wrote:

>I'm left with another problem now though. Since I'm waiting on my new
router
>to arrive through the post, I thought I'd connect this particular pc
>directly to my external broadband modem now,  to enable me to download
>anything now rather than later.
>Although in the past, I have connected this pc to the internet via usb
>broadband, I have now installed a NIC and connected it via ethernet.
>The first pc connected to the net fine, no problems at all, just a
rebooting
>of the modem, but with the other pc, I'm getting the error message that 0
>network adapters are set to DHCP (have I got that the right way round?)
>They are both identical cards, bought at the same time, which leads me to
>wonder whether the pc is still playing up.
>I have worked out that it's something to do with the computer not getting
>the correct IP address, because all goes fine with the broadband install
>disk, until it tries to ping the server. An IP address has been assigned to
>the pc, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason.
>The adapter address is something like: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com