From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:58:06 -0700
Todd Moody asked:
>  When you dehydrate this, does it "sweat" the olive oil out, or does the
> oil stay impregnated into the meat?

a little bit of both

there is a jelly like stuff around each piece when we put it into the
dehydrator, we don't wipe it off or anything because it contains the spices
and flavors -- but in 8-10 hours it is gone, the jerky is very slightly
oily but not greasy to the touch -- there is nothing dripped down at the
bottom of the unit either -- so I really not sure but it looks like it
evaporates?

The red wine, olive oil flavor is distinctly there as is the celery and
other herbs and spices that blend very nicely together.  besides just
eating by itself, it is great crumpled up on a salad (something similiar to
bacon bits

The wine/olive oil idea comes from Eades' "Protein Power" treatment of
steak for the wine to leach out the saturated fat and replace it with more
mono which is said to be better for persons with diabetes and everyone and
his dog typically rails against saturated fat.

Backing up to give history:
2 1/2 years ago I had a heart attack and they replaced 4 clogged arteries.
My cholesterol was high but still just within the normal range, my HDL was
flagged low and my Triglycerdies were flagged high.

Two years ago, when I was getting worse rather than better, a cardiologist
suggested I try low carbing and I got on the Web and found Eskimo and
Atkins, then Eades and PP made sense so combined the two but more Atkins
for doing, Eades for info.

A year on Atkins and everything is just like he says in the book, diabetes
is in perfect control (I was Dx 1973), no more insulin, no more oral pills
and ideal weight with ALL blood profiles like a normal human being -- Wow,
I think -- why doesn't the rest of the world follow low carb -- friends and
relatives of mine are dying, I'm going to funerals like I used to go to
weddings and these folks just ignore talk of low carb.

If they do listen to low carb chat, then their family or Doctor puts them
off -- oooh, you'll destroy your kidneys, ooooh, you'll clog your arteries
again and the rest of the __

So I tried experimenting with fats.  All saturated, as much as I could eat
-- the result, I get better and better, stronger and stronger -- now I
continue to have perfect blood profiles so I don't worry at all about what
kind of fat it is or how much I eat (other than if I don't eat enough, I
bonk when I swim or bike ride (can't walk because I'm disabled but do
hobble with a cane))

In the process though, I did become to enjoy the taste of CP EV olive oil
dumped over salads, dumped in with butter to scramble eggs, good marinade
with wine, it helps hold the herbs and spices sticking them to things. In
other words I about slosh it on everything, for the energy and flavour --
jerky, now being no exception.

Grant

STONE and SPEAR   [log in to unmask]
for information on various support groups:
http://www.mountain-inter.net/~magnuson/
----->