Re: reactions to gluten

Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 May 2003 08:54:39 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

It sounds like the groggy stupor i get from the milk, gluten grains, rice
and apples is pretty usual.

My inhalant allergies make me feel spaced out, tired, sick, trouble
concentrating.  But not that groggy stupor.

I don't think the mood changes are just a reaction to the groggy stupor.
I don't get angry or depressed or irritable with my inhalant allergies.

Maybe
this stupor reaction is a sign of "leaky gut", meaning the reaction
travels to the bloodstream, and the leaky gut can heal, so the obvious
reaction can go away.  One more reason to want a diagnosis.

It can't be hypoglycemia, potatoes, buckwheat don't do this to me.

People mentioned feeling brain-fogged and tired a lot.  This has happened
to me a lot recently, my awareness hasn't been very good.  I'm on my
bicycle at a traffic light, the light is green, i don't notice ... etc.
I got some blood tests for diabetes etc. (don't just assume it's celiac!)

> Or it is the IgA reaction itself. Milk and gluten are known to do that
(casein
> and gluten are hard to break down and both create opiates) -- rice has
glutenin
> which can cause a similar reaction in some people, and also some rice
> may have wheat in it. Apples I don't know, maybe it is the pectin.

> Last time I had pizza I had an anxiety attack for a day
> or so! And that was the VERY LAST time I had pizza!

So make a pizza crust with harmless dough :)

> I get a similar feeling if I have gluten (accidently of course) it has
been
> described to me as "brain fog" and that is what it feels like. It is
also
> like having bad jet lag - if i turn my head it seems that it takes my
brain
> about half a minute to catch up and move inside my skull. Sounds weird,
but
> it takes a couple of days to go away,

I had the same feeling years ago.  I would get sicknesses and I would move
my head and feel like my brain was jarring in there and i would be
nauseated.  It might be sinus problems, try Sudafed or maybe
antihistamines.  It's possible your food reactions are swelling your
sinus tissues.

> The fog Seems to be one of the most common reactions that I have noticed
> after reading this list for a  couple of years. It is one of my
reactions
> that I noticed was the first to go away after many years of being in the
> fog. I get easily agitated (as you describe) after I eat gluten and
casein
> as well. My son becomes violent. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue,
but
> that went away after going gf, and only comes back after eating both
gluten
> and casein.

Oh yes.  I have noticed i get much less upset at things people do, i don't
"take it personally".  i am feeling much more relaxed.  i asked the dental
hygienist while getting my teeth cleaned whether she ever had dreams about
dental gunk, it seemed pretty gross to me.  This started her off volubly
on her angers, resentments.  in the past this might have upset me pretty
badly, i might have felt it as a kind of assault.  i didn't so much, i
was a little upset but i calmed down later.

My father was in a rage a lot of the time, he would get enraged at noises,
he would scream at us children that we were idiots and asinine.  I have
always been kind of baffled by it, it doesn't seem like explicable human
behavior.  Someone hugged him once and she said he felt like a board.  He
might have been called a "rageaholic" but that explains nothing.  Now I wonder,
was he gluten intolerant?

Have people with food problems been horribly served by medicine?  I feel
like problems i've had all my life and i attributed to having been abused
are clearing up.  Shyness, tension, anger.  And it's nice to find that
it's so, but I think, where was this knowledge when i was 1 or 2 years
old?  It's hard to get funding for research on food reactions, the drug
companies fund a lot of the research and maybe that explains the dose
them with a pill orientation of the medical profession.  Also, in Sweden
and Italy they check all children for celiac.  Is wheat not a big product
of these countries, has awareness of gluten intolerance been lower
in the US because of the wheat fields here?  Celiac has been thought to
be rare in the US, but a new study at the Univ. of Maryland showed the
prevalence is actually about the same as in Europe (as you would expect!)

So food problems have become the province largely of alternative medicine,
where there is sometimes an empirical wisdom, but not the funding to
study the empirical knowledge scientifically.  So if you use alternative
medicine, you might get help and you would also likely be doing a lot of
things that don't really help or are harmful.

The Univ. of Maryland study:

   1: Arch Intern Med 2003 Feb 10;163(3):286-92 Related Articles, Books,
          Prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk and not-at-risk groups
          in the United States: a large multicenter study.
          Fasano A, Berti I, Gerarduzzi T, Not T, Colletti RB, Drago S,
          Elitsur Y, Green PH, Guandalini S, Hill ID, Pietzak M, Ventura
          A, Thorpe M, Kryszak D, Fornaroli F, Wasserman SS, Murray JA,
          Horvath K.
          Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland School of
          Medicine, 22 S Greene St, N5W70, PO Box 140, Baltimore, MD
          21201-1595, USA. [log in to unmask]
          BACKGROUND: Celiac disease (CD) is an immune-mediated
          enteropathic condition triggered in genetically susceptible
          individuals by the ingestion of gluten. Although common in
          Europe, CD is thought to be rare in the United States, where
          there are no large epidemiologic studies of its prevalence. The
          aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of CD in
          at-risk and not-at-risk groups in the United States. METHODS:
          Serum antigliadin antibodies and anti-endomysial antibodies
          (EMA) were measured. In EMA-positive subjects, human tissue
          transglutaminase IgA antibodies and CD-associated human
          leukocyte antigen DQ2/DQ8 haplotypes were determined.
          Intestinal biopsy was recommended and performed whenever
          possible for all EMA-positive subjects. A total of 13 145
          subjects were screened: 4508 first-degree and 1275
          second-degree relatives of patients with biopsy-proven CD, 3236
          symptomatic patients (with either gastrointestinal symptoms or
          a disorder associated with CD), and 4126 not-at-risk
          individuals. RESULTS: In at-risk groups, the prevalence of CD
          was 1:22 in first-degree relatives, 1:39 in second-degree
          relatives, and 1:56 in symptomatic patients. The overall
          prevalence of CD in not-at-risk groups was 1:133. All the
          EMA-positive subjects who underwent intestinal biopsy had
          lesions consistent with CD. CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest
          that CD occurs frequently not only in patients with
          gastrointestinal symptoms, but also in first- and second-degree
          relatives and patients with numerous common disorders even in
          the absence of gastrointestinal symptoms. The prevalence of CD
          in symptomatic patients and not-at-risk subjects was similar to
          that reported in Europe. Celiac disease appears to be a more
          common but neglected disorder than has generally been
          recognized in the United States.