PCBUILD  May 2003

PCBUILD May 2003

Re: No display

Michele <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 May 2003 14:12:26 +0100

Hi, I don't know if anyone remembers my problem from a couple of weeks ago,
but I did say that when it's sorted out I would get back, which is what I'm
doing.
The ram idea worked!
(It's taken all this time for it to be sent to me, but well worth the wait)
I now get a display on the screen, first time, every time!
(fujitsu-siemens still insist this ram WON'T work, and have advised me to
change the jumpers for the cpu!)
however, I emailed them back and asked where I should find these
jumpers.(the manual says the cpu should automatically configure)
They sent me a link to a page  for the switch settings(which I already had),
there are 4, not one of them referring to the cpu.
Anyhow, thanks everyone for your suggestions, if it hadn't have been for
this site I probably would never have been able to get a display.
This was a replacement board, and luckily for me I hadn't yet sent the first
one back, and so, as I have ended up with an extra cpu/heatsink, I'm going
to try it with this other board.(now I know which ram to
use!).................
As it starts up, it recognises the cpu.
I am getting an error message on the screen now saying:
'Patch for installed CPU not loaded. Please run the bios flash update
diskette'
As I do not have a diskette, I will have to download one from the site, but
I think I'll steer clear of asking the manufacturers advice in the
future.....which means I'll be asking more questions here!Sorry!
Thanks again everyone for all of your help and suggestions.
Michele Sayer

Dear Michele:

I have found that the 810e chipset has trouble reading some PC100 SDRAM
modules.  If this is the problem you will usually get a memory error.  But
if
you did have this error without the display you could have the condition you
describe.  To eliminate this possible issue I would test your system with a
single 128 MB PC100/16 low density ram module 16Mx64 non ECC, CAS 3 latency.

The two processors test all but eliminates the CPU.  Both ram and CPU are
rated for the same bus speed so that is not the issue.  You could have a bad
motherboard or even a bad parameter in the BIOS.  I am sure you know to
reset
the jumper to clear the system to the default setting.

A clearing of the BIOS would not eliminate the boot sequence in the default;
usually Floppy, HD and CD-ROM.  You do not mention what hard drive and
floppy
drive you are using.  This system board is ACPI compliant so make sure all
of
your hardware will meet this standard.  A conflict there could also cause
this condition. Finally, when you solve these display problems make sure the
operating system is Win 98 SE or better as ACPI boards need an ACPI
operating
system.

Let me know what you find out as this problem sounds interesting.

Regards,
Mike Scott

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml