PCBUILD  May 2003

PCBUILD May 2003

Re: Missing Manager

Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 May 2003 08:49:39 -0400

You sent a long post, and I could respond in kind, there are a lot of things
worth checking.  If you have access to someone who can replace your RAM
memory, or at least look at your memory configuration, I would try that
first.  All your problems can be associated with faulty memory modules, or
if not physically defective, then configured improperly.  What happens is
memory errors slowly corrupt the hard drive, causing the need to reload
software.  Even the cd error is typical, because it is probably trying to
read CAB files, which are compressed.  When the decompression fails, the
error is blamed on the cd drive, but more often the culprit is the memory.
The long time performing disk management can also point at memory, since
errors must be duplicated to be reported.  What happens is the memory causes
a disk error, the disk scan repeats the action to verify there is an error,
the memory "surprise!" works this time and there is no error, so the scan
continues.  All these retries add up to a very long scan.
There are of course other things to investigate, but I would start with the
ram memory.
Tom Turak

-----Original Message-----
From: Catharina Willems [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 5:17 AM

Hello, I wonder if  you can help me?  A few weeks ago my computer started to
crash all the time.   I read in a book that TMP files can cause problems.  I
had 1015 of them.  The book suggested you delete them manually.  Which I
did.   After this  I could not use Outlook Express any more.  The messages
off 'Ox80040154,2' and 'MSOE.DLL' are missing came up, contact Microsoft for
support.  I tried, then the message 'document manager is missing' appeared.
I scanned C. drive and defragmented C. drive too.  They were both o.k. The
computer Windows 98, second edition, still kept on freezing all the time.
My internet provider suggested to repair Internet Explorer.   This did not
work.  I also tried to restore the previous program, with no result, except
messages about missing items   The internet provider suggested to find
Internet Explorer 6 because Outlook Express is part of it.  Somehow I was
able to do that with good results.   Outlook Express is back.  But the
Document Manager is still missing.   So far I haven't found out what this
important missing manager job is, or were he is hiding. I had the computer
scan C. drive again.  It took more than 30 hours to do the job.  According
to the computer everything was ok.   Alas,  I could not go on the internet
any more. Today we tried to use the HP Pavilion Recovery Program to restore
the soft wear on the computer to it's original condition.   It didn't go
very far when the first CD came up with the message:   The 'CD could have
errors or the CD's drive could be damaged'.  I am able to go on the internet
again,  but there was a message about problems with the manager when I tried
to check out something. Now I wonder what to do next.  Why did it take more
than 30 hours to scan C. drive and say things are ok, when things are not
ok.   I hope you have some suggestions about what to do next.   Catharina

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com